Skip to main content

Optometrist At Holly & Derry in Milton, ON

Call 905-876-0044
Schedule An Eye Exam
Home » Eye Care Services in Milton, ON » What is Myopia? » Atropine Therapy Program

Atropine Therapy Program

Children Reading Newspaper Outside, Nearsightedness, Optometrist, Milton, ONLimiting the progression of childhood myopia

Myopia (nearsightedness) is a condition that is associated with blurred vision at distance. Increasing amounts of myopia is associated with an increased risk of sight-threatening eye diseases such as cataracts, glaucoma, myopic maculopathy, retinal holes, retinal tear and retinal detachments. Your doctor has prescribed an intervention to help limit the progression of your child’s nearsightedness.

The use of atropine in slowing down the progression of myopia was first reported in the 19th century. The effectiveness of atropine for myopia control is higher than any other form of treatment currently available. Then why has the use of Atropine not become widespread from myopia progression? The answer is the side effects of the medication. The commercially available concentration for atropine is 1.0%. At this concentration, this medication causes blurred near vision, pupil dilation, and significant light sensitivity. It has also been known to cause systemic side effects in rare instances which include but are not limited to increased heart rate, flushing of the skin, dry mouth and confusion.

In 2016, the American Academy of Ophthalmology published an article on myopia control with 0.01% atropine in comparison to 0.5% and 0.1% atropine.  The study was a randomized, double-masked clinical trial with 400 children receiving one drop of either 0.01%, 0.1% or 0.5% atropine. Over a period of 5 years, the study concluded that 0.01% atropine was more effective in slowing myopia progression with less visual side effects in comparison with higher doses of atropine.

For more information or any questions regarding therapy, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Dear Patients,

Today, under directions from the College of Optometrists of Ontario, we have made the difficult decision to immediately suspend all non-urgent care,  due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our doctors will still be accessible for ocular emergency assessments case by case. The clinic is closed.

All non-urgent appointments will be canceled and rescheduled for a later date. For urgent care please DO NOT call or come to the clinic, but send an email to: for appropriate triaging.

For patients who need to order contact lenses, please continue to place your order request on our website at We encourage a 6-12 months’ supply of contact lenses to be ordered.

What consists of an emergency: Ocular Emergencies require an urgent visit within 24-48 hours. Please email our office should you experience:

  1. Chemicals splashed into the eye within the last hour
  2. Sudden loss or decrease in vision, or the appearance of a cloudy veil in front of the eye
  3. Foreign body in the eye, ocular injury or forceful trauma to the eye or surrounding area
  4. Sudden onset of halos around lights; especially if associated with a red painful eye or brow
  5. Sudden onset of flashing lights or floaters
  6. Sudden onset of double vision
  7. Red eyes with pain, light sensitivity or pus discharge
  8. Swelling of eyelid

If you are not sure if you are experiencing an ocular emergency please email our office at

 As this situation evolves, Milton Eye Care is committed to providing updates to our patients. While this is a difficult time for all, we are aspired by our patients who have taken their own personal measures to protect our most vulnerable. Thank you for your understanding. Please stay safe and healthy.

Warmest regards,

Milton Eye Care team